Future Transfer Students

Welcome to the University of Minnesota’s Transfer Student Experience!

As a student preparing to transfer to the university there are some things that you should know about being a transfer.

First, we consider a transfer student as anyone who applying to attend the U of M who has received post-secondary school credit after graduating high school. A transfer student can apply to any of our transfer admitting colleges, schools or professional programs.

Take a look at some of the info below to help you get started on becoming a Golden Gopher!

Apply Now

Take the first step to becoming a Golden Gopher and submit your application for admission. Be a part of something great - Apply Today

There are some other important things to keep in mind as a transfer student. Check out our Office of Admissions’ Transfer page to learn more. Are you transferring from another University of Minnesota campus? You must fill out the change of college form.

Visit Campus

Don’t wait until orientation to take your first steps on campus. Come and see what all the buzz is about. Let us show you around so you can start getting comfortable at your new home. Visit Campus to see the sights, ask questions, and learn about how to make the transition to becoming a Gopher.

Connect with your Transfer Specialist

U of M transfers can apply to be part an academic program in one of our 9 colleges and schools, or 4 professional health programs. There is an admissions Transfer Specialist waiting to help you through the process. Your Transfer Specialist is located in the college you’re applying to.

Living on Campus - Apply for Housing

Be one of many new transfers who are living on-campus. Whether you join a Living Learning Community (LLC) that is tied to a specific academic or personal interest, or you just want to live close to your classes, you will benefit from living on campus. Apply for on-campus housing as soon as possible.

Note: Students must apply for admission to the University but do not need to be accepted before applying for housing.

Credit Transfer

The Office of Admissions will review your transcript(s) from your previous school(s). They will provide you with a Transfer Credit Report that will inform you of whether each individual course:

To get an idea of how specific courses from your previous or current institution will transfer to the U of M, check out Transferology.com. This resource is used by hundreds of schools in 17 different states across the U.S.

Still have questions? Check out the more detailed ‘Overview of Transferring Credit’ to learn more about the credit for the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), Credit for Military Training/Experience, AP, IB, CLEP, and more.

Cost and Aid

Our Onestop student services can help with all things related to your student account.  Check out these links to learn more about cost of attendance or the financial aid basics for transfer students.

If you’re one of our transfers who is coming to us from a state with which the U of M has a reciprocity agreement or you’re looking for info related to residency requirements check here.


We know you may have some additional questions about becoming a Golden Gopher. Please see our Office of Admission FAQ search or contact admissions by email or phone: 612-625-2008 or 1-800-752-1000