Financial Aid

As a U of M student, the One Stop Student Services office is your primary resource for all of your financial aid and billing information.

Prior to Admission

When transferring to the U of M from another college or university, you will need to add the U of M to  your current FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Note: the U of M’s Federal School Code is 003969.

It is important to note that although the U of M One Stop Student Services Office can provide general information about the U of M’s cost of attendance and the financial aid process, One Stop cannot provide students with specific information about their financial aid options or eligibility until a FAFSA has been received and processed.

Prior to admission to the U of M, you should consult with the financial aid office at your current institution for information on your specific financial aid history and details. 

After Admission:

After you have been admitted to the U of M, you should track your FAFSA status and complete your FAFSA to-do list. More information on the financial aid steps can be found on the One Stop website

You can also begin to research other types of financial aid.  

Types of Financial Aid

Students have access to many different types of financial aid, including: loans, grants (such as the U Promise, for new freshmen and transfer students), scholarships and work-study

There is even a scholarship search for students (you can use this once you have begun your classes at the U of M and your GPA, grade level, and major/minor information is active in the system).

Special Populations

You can find information on using your military education benefits here.

Are you a student parent? Undergraduates who have children and are paying for childcare may be eligible for additional financial support. To be fully screened and learn more about the resources available for student parents, connect with the Student Parent Help Center.

Other Resources Related to Financial Aid and Support

Student Employment

Looking for a job? Every year the U of M posts thousands of on-campus, part-time jobs for students. These jobs are a great way to gain experience and find a campus community while earning money.  

You can also find off-campus jobs and internships via Handshake, a career network for U of M students, alumni, and employers.

Getting Around Campus

The Nutritious U Food Pantry offers free food to U of Students on campus. You may also qualify for SNAP benefits.

Off Campus Living can help find resources related to renting, commuting, and navigating campus. Parking & Transportation can help you with your commuting and parking needs and costs. 

University of Minnesota students who pay the Transportation and Safety Fee have unlimited access to the regional transit system in the Twin Cities metro via a free Universal Transit Pass.